Friday, December 17, 2010

Mom’s Rwanda Wrap-Up

Home in Fredericton, after my Tour de Rwanda with Caroline. I am cold, and lonely. Wonder if I will ever wear all the great jewelry I got, as it will seem out of place here. Like an orchid in a cow barn.

I miss the moto’s, African tea, sunshine and heat. Do not miss walking uphill and really dirty feet. I miss Caroline, and her roommate Lauren. Wonderful hosts. They have an impressive lust for food. Surpassed only by their exuberance for life.

Have met some people I will remember for a long time. Peter, Egide, Hilaire, Eric, Mo, and Jonas. They might not have a Visa Gold card, but they have the ability to make you feel welcome, and special. Black is the new gold.

Caroline had her Jurassic Park moments. And I was there to share it with her. That’s what I liked the most – being able to fly half-way around the world to spend time with Cano. The child who took care of me in her adopted country. I got to stand back and watch her. I was humbled.

The sights of Rwanda will stay with me for a long time. I want them to. Their memories will rescue me, when life just gets a bit too foolish here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the visit Marlene, see you in F'ton in no time when we will be jonesin' to reminisce about Rwanda with others who have experienced it in all its glory.

    ReplyDelete