Friday, December 10, 2010

Mom's First Blog, written Dec 6th


TIA.
This is Africa.
Last night went to pick up luggage, which did not come with me.  It was open, and yes, the electronics I brought for “the people” were missing.  Yes, that happens in Canada too, however, the paperwork here is a little more challenging. I pretty much had a breakdown.
Rwanda really is the Land of a Thousand Hills. Makes running hills in Fredericton seem rather pointless. Jesus, fill two large jugs with water, and walk up a half-dozen hills to get home, and there’s your workout. 
Cano lives at the end of a very sketchy dirt road. I have to hold hands with her at night walking home. The same situation would be unheard of in Canada. It would be too dangerous.
She has no running water. Well, there was water Saturday morning for a couple of hours. That means the toilet does not flush. Got that? I have been scolded for using three cups of water from the boiled supply per day. Yes, I washed my face, and brushed my teeth three times a day. I have since cutback.
My lungs are sick. Air pollution in Kigali is remarkable.
TIA.
This is Africa.
Peter has his tuition. He is registering for school this week. He is grateful, gentle, and so appreciative of the opportunity to get a degree. Sustainable kindness.
The roads impress me, cleanliness (exception – dreadful air quality), developing infrastructure (exception – water supply), skilled matatu drivers.
As we drive through the countryside on the small, very packed bus; the
children are thrilled to see my white face, and wave and shout. Maybe they think I’m Angelina Jolie.
Tonight is Trivia Night at some Italian Restaurant. I am due for some competition.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun - minus the water shortage, I don't think I could handle that. What about showers?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post.
    And Jensen, showers are hard to come by (ie twice a week, if we're lucky...). Try it at home and you'll know how we feel (dirty, most likely).

    ReplyDelete