Saturday, December 4, 2010

Long Is Afternoon Shadows


Mom and I had the pleasure of a three hour bus ride to Kibuye today, and that is not at all intended to be sarcastic.  These hills never fail to move me.  Never fail to bring me back to center, back to what I need.  Because sometimes I forget.  I don’t know why, maybe it’s my task-oriented western culture or maybe it’s my own freakish mind, but I get so wrapped up in things that are or aren’t happening thousands of miles and minutes away from me.  I am unintentionally escaping this experience.  I drift into the future – what will happen, what will I do, where will I be, what is the next thing – and I forget what is going on right in fucking front of me. 

These hills remind me.

It’s so easy to slip into it, so easy to focus on what is to come instead of what is here.   Because yes, I am going to have to find some sort of employment, an apartment, feed myself, and support myself (not to mention repay my debt to my father and the ever-looming government of Canada).  And yes, there are relationships with people that I have back home that I want to keep, or even develop.  And there are things about home that I don’t want to lose or forget about or put on a backburner.  But how can I accomplish all of this without sacrificing the uniqueness and wonder of this opportunity I am living?  
What I really need is balance. 
Libra seeking balance.  What else is new.  Christ.
Slow down. Breathe. Be here. Open your eyes.  
Giver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment